Today we have something SUPER fun! Kandi Steiner is releasing the next book in her PSU series and we have 26 FUN FACTS about it. Palm South University is a new adult/college romance series. It’s packed with angst, steam, and drama. I’m told it’s so damn addicting, it will be come your NEXT obsession. And holy moly, it sounds BEYOND amazing. This is a Kandi Steiner series I need to BINGE READ stat.
26 FUN FACTS ABOUT THE PALM SOUTH UNIVERSITY SERIES:
1. There are 4 seasons of the Palm South University series live right now, with the 5th one releasing THIS THURSDAY. There will be 7 seasons total, once the series is complete.
2. If you’ve never read the series, you can get book one — Rush — for FREE just by signing up for Kandi Steiner’s newsletter. Get Rush here!
3. Book 4 in the series — Legacy — actually takes place in the same timeline as Kandi Steiner’s book, Black Number Four. When you open Legacy, you’ll find the author provides a reading guide if you want to read both books together for the full experience!
4. The original inspiration for the entire series struck Kandi when she was re-watching episodes of one of her favorite TV shows — Greek. “I loved that show so much, and in my opinion, it was cancelled way too early. I wanted more. I wanted something like that, like The O.C., like Friends, like all those shows that I’m addicted to. And since I couldn’t find anything like it, I decided I would write it.”
5. Four of the main girls in the series were named after friends of the author — Cassie, Ashlei, Jess, and Erin. They’re book friends the author made early on in her career, and she wanted to honor their friendship by naming the characters after them.
6. There’s a quiz you can take to find out which Palm South University character you are! http://kandisteiner.com/quiz-which-palm-south-university-character-are-you/
7. In Pledge when Bear and Skyler go to Pittsburgh, their experience climbing onto the roof of the Omni hotel is based off a true story. Kandi Steiner actually did that the night after she signed at the Black and Gold Author Event back in 2015.
8. Palm South University is modeled after the University of Central Florida — the author’s alma mater. The way the campus is set up like a circle, the different educational buildings, and “Greek Row” are all created with that campus in mind.
9. Skyler’s poker background was inspired by the author’s upbringing with her own family playing the game. Kandi learned how to play poker at the age of 8, and her mom taught her how to perfect her poker face throughout years of family games.
10. The shortest book in the series is book one, Rush, at just 68,000 words. The longest book in the series is Legacy, topping out at a whopping 142,000 words.
11. The Bubba Kegs that the girls make for Spring Break were inspired by a tradition in Kandi’s sorority at UCF. Decorating Bubba Kegs was always a staple before a trip with sisters.
12. Kandi has a Palm South University series Pinterest board, where you can see some of the inspiration behind Halloween costumes, spring break outfits, party themes, and more. https://www.pinterest.com/authorkandisteiner/palm-south-university/
13. Kandi was inspired to write the scene where Skyler goes to the Ernest Hemingway house in Key West after her own trip there. Kandi’s mom loved Hemingway, and being a whiskey-lover herself, she had to check out the famous writer’s digs in her favorite place. She loved her visit to the house so much, she wrote it into PSU.
14. The covers for the series have changed three times over the years. They started as girls popping up behind transparent letters, then transitioned to a more beachy, sexy feel, and finally made their debut with the reveal of Legacy with a more a tropical, party-like new adult/college focus. Kandi says this is the final look for the covers, and there will be no other changes in the future. She even has the future covers ready to go already!
15. When the series was first released, it came out in “episodes” instead of the entire season being released at once. So, it would release in 6 parts, one episode every Tuesday. “It was like waiting a week for your favorite TV show to come back. But, after season 2, I decided to release it more Netflix style, so readers could binge all the new content at once.”
16. Ashlei’s pole dance fitness hobby was inspired by Kandi’s trip to a pole dance studio when she was in college for a party. Funny enough, Kandi now takes pole dance fitness classes regularly.
17. Kandi does limited edition swag for each new book in the PSU series. The current tank top/t-shirt/sweatshirt campaign is a design that says “I like keg stands and drunk walks on the beach” https://teespring.com/palm-south-university-legacy1#pid=95&cid=2264&sid=front
18. Although all of the fraternities and sororities mentioned in PSU are fictional, Kandi did base them after fraternities and sororities on the UCF campus. She was in Alpha Xi Delta, and says she modeled the Omega Chi brothers in PSU after the Theta Chi chapter at UCF.
19. Diversity is a critical part of the series, and Kandi Steiner aims to keep it that way. “You’ll see characters of all shapes, sizes, colors, sexual orientations and backgrounds in this, and I wrote it like that on purpose. College, like the rest of the world, is diverse. There are many different cultures. I wanted to capture that, and I work hard to continue to do that as I write more books in the series.”
20. The annual date auction that the KKB sisters hold in the books was inspired by an event that Kandi used to take place in raising money for the Children’s Miracle Network at UCF.
21. When asked who her favorite characters are in the series — both male and female — Kandi said it’s Bear and Erin. “Bear, because he’s everything anyone could ever ask for in a friend. And he’s a strong character, he’s grown so much. And Erin because she’s my little broken villain. Her journey is one that’s so close to my heart, and though it’s hard to write at times, she’s truly my most challenging and rewarding character.”
22. That being said, Kandi says her favorite STORYLINE to write in the PSU series is that of Adam and Cassie. “Come on, we all know I’m a sucker for angst. And their push and pull, back and forth is my jam. I love writing for them. I’m always so squirmy!”
23. Kandi says there are some characters from the earlier seasons of PSU that will make a re-appearance in later seasons, though she can’t say which ones just yet.
24. Though she says there’s no specific playlist for the series, Kandi says she always has on electronic dance music when she’s writing the series. “The vibe I get with this series is beachy, party, young and fun. Yes, there are some serious topics covered, but for the most part, it’s like reliving college.”
25. When asked what PSU fans can expect from future books in the series, Kandi gave an evil grin. “All I can say is the readers ain’t seen NOTHING yet. And if you think you have something figured out, if you think you know what will happen next… I can promise you, you’re wrong.”
26. The next book in the series — Ritual — releases this week! And Hazed, book 6, is coming in February. Pre-order it here!
Series Reading Order:
PS: This series must be read in order. The books are all in Kindle Unlimited.